As I said in my previous blog I went back to my old secondary school to visit recently. Its that time in my eldest button's life where we have to think about secondary schools. Well more than think about it. We had to have our preferences in last week. During the last few weeks we have visited about 6 in the area and didn't feel terribly impressed with any of them. It was then when we decided to go al little further a field and visit mine and hubby's old school.
I had a mixture of emotions in the few hours before we were due to arrive, I was surprisingly nervous, excited and hopeful it would be all I remembered it being.
I was a bit of a mouse at school and went very much unnoticed.....what they call in the trade as an invisible child. I had no real problems, wasn't bullied, felt safe and secure but was never really noticed. I also loved school. I wasn't the brightest of children but liked to learn new stuff and see my friends every day.
Hubby and I first met on our first day of secondary school when we were put in the same form. We were friends from then on and became bestest friends at the age of 14.
It was strange being back. I was excited as we were walking in....was excited walking round....was impressed with the whole ethos of the place and was having a jolly nice time....until I walked into the geography class and came head to head with Mr Thomas. Now Mr Thomas used to scare the living daylights out of me and my first reaction was to put my head down and walk quickly away just in case he told me off for the state of my project on travel and tourism in year 5 (it wasn't impressive)
Isn't it funny after all these years a figure of authority from my childhood could still provoke that reaction.
I then saw my old English teacher (my first crush) and turned into a girly gibbering wreck.
I had to go outside to breath and gather myself.
I was cross with myself by this point and decided I was a grown up and it was about time I saw myself as one. I was an equal now and could hold a perfectly adult conversation with any of these people.
All went well from then on....I even managed a conversation with the head teacher who remembered a cake my mum had made for a fund raising thing .....teehee.....who would have thought it. Some of these teachers really do deserve a medal just for their memory alone.
Hubby and I had a giggle walking past a few of our old snogging spots...and the hideout we would use on cross country days (behave.... 'twas nothing saucy) And the escape route into town we used during orienteering when we would go to the butchers and buy pork scratchings or to the corner shop for ice creams on hot days.
After all these years I still felt at home there and what was lovely was that so did Jack. It has now gone down as his 1st preference. Even though the school is usually oversubscribed and out of area the head doesn't think we will have a problem getting him in. Its such a huge worry off our shoulders. Some of the other schools we saw scared the living daylights out of me and I was very apprehensive about jack having to go to them and so was he.
As we walked away I was called back by my old cooking teacher...she shouted "See you at parents evening then".....I certainly hope I do.
Chockie x x
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment